Industry Projects are an integral component of the SHIFT programme and give students the opportunity to gain valuable connections and world-class work experience. We heard first hand from our students, and their industry mentors, about the trials, learning and successes of their SHIFT Industry projects. One of the projects, with Orbica, is profiled here.
For two of the industry hosts, this was their second time taking SIGNAL students for the Industry Project component of the course.
The cohort consisted of eight students and six have secured employment while the other two are travelling and preparing to move within NZ. A wonderful result showing you truly can SHIFT into a tech career.
During the showcase mentors gave feedback on the student they had hosted and the experience:
- We were so impressed, we hired him as a full-timer
- This guy could learn fast, so coming into the team and keeping up was really important for us
- He had people knocking on his door after the internship and we couldn’t hang onto him
- With the internship, you really get a chance to see how the people perform
- It’s been so great taking on Signal Interns, so when we had another opportunity for a project, we said, 'Yes, absolutely!'
- We made the most of their skills and their planning and execution was exemplary
- Learning in a real environment is super helpful for interns, they had to learn how to scope, and work in a very agile environment, with sprints and they did a really good job
- I think the future of the Tech Industry is very exciting when we have talent like today's interns coming through
- If you are motivated to succeed with a curious mind, you are always going to do well in your career
The students have gone into a variety of roles following their Industry Projects, these include:
· Fullstack Developer
· Graduate Software Developer
· Business Systems Analyst
· Marketing and Events Manager
· Web apps Developer
We are excited to follow the careers of these students as they progress and are looking forward to the next Showcase event!
We'd like to extend a big 'Thank You!' to our Industry Hosts: